Contact Us


Share on Social

Related articles


In Victoria when you purchased your unit you will have received an Owners Corporation Certificate in your Section 32 documentation. This provides all the current insurance details. If the owners corporation (or body corporate in the old language) is not professionally managed you should certainly enquire as to the status of insurance.
Unfortunately, all too often owners purchase their unit and immediately take out building insurance, only to discover that their unit is already comprehensively insured. Not only have they spent money unnecessarily, but have created a potentially dangerous ‘double-insurance’ situation.
The Owners Corporations Act (2006) requires that your strata takes out specialist strata insurance on all the buildings on the Plan of Subdivision. This insurance automatically includes a minimum of $20 million of Public Liability insurance over the common property, which includes the driveway (s).
This comprehensive insurance policy taken out with one specialist insurer ensures the safest and the most cost-effective insurance option. You should be aware that there are some obvious risks if duplicate insurance policies exist.

  • The potential for these insurance companies to dispute which company is liable, holding up repairs for a lengthy period.
  • The specialist policy will have replacement cover whilst the second policy may simply offer a payout, resulting in that owner having to arrange their own re-building.
  • A range of scenarios which can affect two units with a common wall where conflicting insurance policies result in dispute and difficulty.
  • Such scenarios are entirely unsatisfactory if the buildings are connected by common property, resulting in the buildings not being rebuilt at the same time, and disputes about who pays for the adjoining walls and services.
All of the above depend on the buildings being adequately insured. If any of the joined buildings are under-insured then the owners may not get their full pay out, meaning they can’t afford to rebuild.
If in doubt, you should contract a strata specialist for advice.

Read More

The importance of Strata Insurance Valuations

Owners Corporations need to be asking themselves whether they have sufficient insurance in place to protect their strata building and property for when the unexpected happens.
The law
Under current Victorian strata legislation* an Owners Corporation must insure for its buildings full replacement value, and an independent insurance valuation of the building replacement cost must be completed at least every five years for a prescribed Owners Corporation. Building valuations for strata properties are not only required by law, but they also make good sense. It is a legal obligation and responsibility for an Owners Corporation to ensure that there is no dollar shortfall for the rebuilding of their strata property, should the worst happen. If there is a shortfall, then it is the responsibility of the Owners Corporation to meet this shortfall.
Changes in the law:
The long awaited regulatory reform of Victorian strata legislation has finally passed through Parliament and will come into effect on 1 December 2021.
Under the new legislation it will be a legal requirement for Owners Corporations of 3 lots and over to have a building valuation done at least every five years.  This is a big shift as the expiring legislation only stipulated this for “certain prescribed” Owners Corporations.
Why you need valuations
Apart from the legal requirements accurate valuations of assets ensures the correct sums insured are in place thereby avoiding the risk of underinsurance or conversely, unnecessary over insurance costs.
The level of insurance that is required tends to increase with time, as you put different materials, construction costs and professional fees increase each year, these factors must be altered in your coverage to reflect the changes and ensure the group remains adequately covered.
More recently fluctuations in the market for building materials and skilled trade’s people has seen many buildings currently underinsured. Therefore, a detailed valuation will account for more than just the replacement value, they will factor increased building costs due to CPI increases, natural events and other disasters.
Plus, in the event of a claim, having a professional insurance valuation can greatly simplify and streamline the claim process.
What does an Insurance Valuation cover?
A valuation of a strata building for a replacement cost assessment should include:

  • Cover the buildings, common property and each lot’s fixtures and improvements
  • Public liability insurance for the common property
  • Other factors including inflation, professional fees, cost escalations, compliance with regulations of building development at current standards, demolition, cost of external items (pavements, fencings, recreation facilities which are on-site) and lastly, the removal of debris.
Additional things to consider with an Insurance Valuation
Often, there’s a dangerous assumption that the valuation covers all scenarios but this is simply not the case. It’s worth checking that your instructions to a professional valuer are clear and complete and:
  • Covers the known and anticipates the undisclosed e.g. upgrades to fixtures and improvements for every lot within your strata block’
  • Considers any environmental hazards, planning/restrictions or dangerous materials which may prevent the building being rebuilt or delay the rebuilding process,
  • Anticipates the rise in costs of labour and materials – remembering that the rise in rebuilding costs outstrips the rise in CPI by almost double.
  • Allowances for cost escalation caused by floods, cyclones and other disasters
It is also important to note:
  • That a valuation is carried out frequently - every two to three years is a common practice among strata properties
  • Your Building Sum Insured amount is reviewed each year between valuations in light of events that could impact building and repair costs.
This article was supplied by CHU Underwriting Agencies
1300 361 263

*Owners Corporation Act 2006
CHU Underwriting Agencies Pty Ltd (ABN 18 001 580 070, AFS Licence No: 243261) acts under a binding authority as agent of the insurer QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFS Licence No: 239545). Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply to the products referred to above. Any advice in this article is general advice only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before making a decision to acquire any product(s) or to continue to hold any product we recommend that you consider whether it is appropriate for your circumstances and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement which can be viewed on this website or obtained by contacting CHU directly.
Date issued: June 2020

Read More

Strata & Flood Insurance

26 Oct 2022


Of the many covers available in the strata insurance marketplace, flood insurance is one I find myself answering queries about almost every day, particularly after a day of heavy rain. With wild weather sweeping across the country in recent times (and the likelihood of future weather events occurring), it's vitally important that strata managers and Owners Corporations understand their risk exposure to flood events, what flood cover involves, and ensuring the appropriate cover is in place. 


Before 2012, each insurer in the market had its own definition of flood cover, which made it difficult for consumers to accurately compare and understand the different options available to them. In 2012, the Insurance Council of Australia introduced a statutory flood definition applicable to all domestic property insurance contracts [including Residential & Commercial Strata] to reduce consumer confusion about what constitutes a flood event.

The current definition of Flood is as follows:

The covering of normally dry land by water that has escaped or been released from the normal confines of: 

  • any lake, or any river, creek, or other natural watercourse, whether or not altered or modified; or

  • any reservoir, canal, or dam.

Reference: Section 378 /2) [a) of the Insurance Contract Act 1984 [Cth). Insurance Council of Australia, 2012

In simple terms, if a deluge of rain causes a river, lake, dam, or the like to overflow and the rising of this escaped water causes damage to the property, this would trigger the flood definition in the strata insurance policy, should the Owners' Corporation have this cover in place.


Flood Insurance is usually provided as an extension to a standard strata insurance policy. Provided the Owners Corporation has this extension in place, the strata insurance policy will typically respond to loss or damage arising from the following: 

  • Damage to the Building, inclusive of common areas and items falling within the definition of building within private lots [e.g., walls, cabinetry, installed fixtures, and fittings]

  • Damage to Common Contents

  • Loss of Rent & Temporary Accommodation.

Costs will be covered up to either the total sum insured for Building, Common Contents & Loss of Rent/Temporary Accommodation or to the Flood Insurance Sub Limit noted on the policy schedule, whichever is the lower amount.


If you do not live near a body of water [as described in the flood definition above]. then the chances of a flood would be considered remote, and Flood Insurance may not be required. However, should the property be near a body of water, then Flood Insurance is likely to be needed. To find out more and understand the flood risk at your property, you can access the following resources: 

  • Your local council will have flood mapping available for your area and be able to tell you if you are in a flood zone

  • Alternatively, you can refer to the Australian Flood Risk Information Panel

  • Contact Honan - we can utilise our internal resources or access our insurer partners' flood mapping to help you understand your risk.


Within the strata insurance industry, Flood Insurance is offered on a case-by-case basis. This means it is not automatically included in each policy. When a request for flood cover is received by an Insurer, they will review the flood risk [often down to the specific house number on a street and its proximity to bodies of water] and determine whether they will offer flood cover. If the Insurer offers flood cover, they may also charge an additional premium, impose an additional excess, or even impose a limit on the amount of flood cover they are willing to offer [usually lower than the overall sum insured]. Not all insurers in the strata insurance market offer flood cover, so ensure you understand if your strata insurer can offer this extension of cover.

Feel free to reach out to learn how your owners' corporation may be impacted by a catastrophic event and what this means for you. 

Honan Insurance