Contact Us


Share on Social

Related articles


Generally speaking, some strata owners aim to save money by delegating management tasks to one or more unit owners on a voluntary basis (and the voluntary factor is important because under the Owners Corporations Act (2006) these persons must not receive payment for their services). Frequently one owner volunteers to take on all the tasks of managing the Owners Corporation.
This may often work well in the short-term, however over a period of time many self-managed Owners Corporations experience difficulty in collecting the fees to pay for insurance, gardening and regular maintenance. There’s also the paperwork and managing the bank account and other compliance issues that are required by law. Not only that, it is difficult enough when all the units are owner-occupied – the difficulties are magnified many times over when a large proportion of the units are investments and the owner lives somewhere else.
Then there is the problem of remaining legally compliant, as well as managing disputes about everything from noisy neighbours to parking issues to ‘who pays for what’ repairs and maintenance. Life is hard enough… sometimes the task just becomes too onerous.
If you do decide to speak to an external OC manager, here is a list of the important questions you should ask to satisfy yourself that you are speaking to a professional who won’t let you down, take your money and provide minimal service.

  • Are they full time strata specialists… is this their core business and sole focus, and not a secondary service they are providing?
  • Are they experienced in all aspects of management?
  • Are they local to your body corporate?
  • Are they members of Strata Community Australia (Vic) – the peak industry body?
  • Will they build a relationship with you and the other owners?
  • Will they take care of one of your greatest assets - your property?
  • Will they provide the professional services that help to take away the hassle, stress, and risk of the day-to-day management of your strata community?
  • Will they work with you to fully understand your specific property strata management needs

Read More

QNA OC's on Special Resolution

Question: We need to carry out substantial repairs on the building. A special levy of $12,000 has been billed to all lots. Does this decision need a special resolution to proceed?

We need to complete some large concrete and balcony works at our building. Most owners agree to this work being done, however, a few days before the AGM we were sent a letter stating the quoted amount for the job and that each owner would be billed $12,000 per lot. This amount was due to be paid in 28 days. Works are planned for early next year.

The job is not urgent and my understanding is that to strike this type of levy there needs to be a special resolution (75% in agreement). Can you please clarify if this decision needs to be voted on to proceed?

Answer: An ordinary resolution (or unobjected interim ordinary resolution) may be sufficient to raise the funds.

(Sections 52 and 53 of the Owners Corporations Act 2006 provide that a special resolution is required to carry out significant works to the common property if a planning permit is required for the works and or the budget required for the works is more than twice the annual budget.
If $12,000 required by each owner for the concrete and balcony works does not fit the above, then an ordinary resolution (or unobjected interim ordinary resolution) is sufficient to raise the funds.

Rochelle Castro
RC & Co Lawyers

Read More

QNA Does the committee has a power to reduce an OC's levy contribution?

29 Nov 2022

Question: A landlord has suffered loss of rent due to repairs to common property. Does the OCC have the power to reduce that lot’s levies by the amount of the lost rent?

Could an OCC pass a motion in favour of reducing a particular lot owner’s levy for a fixed period?
Authorised works are being conducted on a lot owner’s property. The works have resulted in loss of rental to the landlord. The landlord is looking for the OC fees to be reduced by the amount of the lost rent.
Does the OCC have the power to reduce the levy or would an Extraordinary General Meeting be required?

Answer: The committee does not have a legal power to reduce an owner’s levy contribution

In Victoria, the committee does not have a legal power to reduce an owner’s levy contribution.

That said, it is lawful for the committee to pass a resolution that the OC would provide a credit to the owner’s account as a result of the circumstances described, being loss suffered by the owner caused by the OC to the owner’s property. Alternatively, the committee could decide to pay the owner cash for the loss the owner has suffered.


Rochelle Castro
RC & Co Lawyers